Nausea In Dogs: How Changing Their Food Bowl Helps

Can dogs have nausea? Yes, they Can! 

Keep reading to find out how you can alleviate your dog's nausea by changing their food bowl.

How to alleviate nausea in dogs with a slow feeder bowl


Tootsie was just diagnosed with nausea last week. It's been awhile since I've shared any updates on Tootsie,  my Chihuahua.   I figured this was the perfect opportunity.

I never would of thought that a dog repeatedly licking their lips was a sign of nausea.  I thought it was a nervous habit she had, since she does have occasions of nervousness.  When I took Tootsie to her veterinarian, for a followup after her emergency room visit, I found out that  lip licking actually is a symptom of nausea. 

Tootsie The Chi visiting the vet's office





 Yes, unfortunately Tootsie required an emergency visit a few weeks ago.  I'll be sure to write about that in another post.

I'm not talking one or two licks, like the ones your dog does for the perfect tongue out Tuesday photo, or after they just had a spoonful of peanut butter.

Perfect tongue out Tuesday photo of Tootsie, my Chihuahua


I'm referring to repeated lip licking, that occurs throughout the day and night.  Tootsie does anywhere from 3 to 10 and sometimes  dry heaves.  I attempted to get a video to show you, Tootsie isn't a big fan of being video taped, so this is the best I could do. Hope it helps to show what she is experiencing.




If your dog presents this symptom, I recommend video taping and showing to your veterinarian. I'm not a medical professional,  rather a Dog Mom, sharing my experience.  So please, if you have any concerns about your dog, consult with your veterinarian.

Tootsie's vet suggested I try a slow feeder bowl since Tootsie guzzles her food in about two gulps. Tootsie doesn't believe in chewing, she swallows her kibble like pills!

I found a Fun Feeder Mini Healthy Slow-feeding Bowl by Outward Hound at my local pet store.  You can also order one online.

Slow Feeder Bowl for Dogs


 I'm sharing this product to give you an idea of what is available.   There are many other types of slow feeder bowls.  You can find ones in plastic, ceramic and stainless steel.  This particular bowl is made from food safe plastic, that is BPA, PVC and phthalate free. Yes, that makes the dog momma in me very happy!

Just so you know, I was not paid to tell you about this bowl, nor did I receive it for free.  Heck, Outward Hound doesn't even know who I am, though it would be nice if they did!  They have some really pawsome products.

An other suggestion Tootsie's veterinarian had, was to look into changing Tootsie's diet.  She currently is eating a dry food with the protein as fish and the carbohydrate is Sweet Potato.  I am currently looking for something to switch her over to.  I'll update you on that in the near future.

Tootsie seems to be enjoying her new bowl, it's definitely lengthened her mealtime!

Chihuahua having dinner in a slow feeding bowl


Do you use a slow feeder bowl for your dog? What type did you purchase? What was the main reason for switching your dog to this type of bowl?  Would love to hear from you, just drop a line in the comments. I read and reply to everyone's comments.

Bon Apetit! From our home to yours 💖

8 comments

  1. A totally supurr post, we need one of these fur Fudge!!

    Thanks so much fur sharing!

    Big hugs

    Basil & Co xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Basil for the kind words. Hope it helps Fudge ❤

      Delete
  2. We came over to check on Tootsie because we haven't seen you guys around lately. We hope Tootsie is doing well. Her new bowl looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet of you to check in on Tootsie, thank you! She is doing better with her nausea and her cardiac condition is stable. We are getting back into our normal routine, so hopefully a new post coming soon! Lola. say hello to your Momma for us!
    & yes, she loves her bowl, so does Tootsies sister, haha ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. However some people prefer using wet puppy feed as not only does it look more edible in either the meaty variety and pate variety it also has a stronger odor which some owners say is more interesting for the puppy. James Schmitz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely comes down to personal preference, for the pet parent and the dog ❤

      Delete
  5. Hello there I am so grateful I found your blog page, I really found you by mistake, while I was looking on Yahoo for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a incredible post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to look over it all at the moment but I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the superb job. aol login

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Tootsie & I are pleased you found us! Even if not on purpose, Haha! Thank you for your kind words, come back and visit us anytime. You can find us on social media as well💜

      Delete