DIY Embellished Dog Collar

Have you ever been on a mission to find the perfect collar for your dog?  Yet you leave the store with not quite what you had in mind? Or worse yet, you leave not finding what you had your heart set on?

No worries!  Go ahead and pick out a plain old boring (yawn...) collar and keep reading!

Welcome to our very first DIY Project for your fur baby!

In this project you will learn how to adorn your dog's collar with embellishments, so get your fingers (and paws if you are a fur baby who loves to assist ❤) ready to have fun and be creative!

Orange dog collar embellished with gems




For this project, you will need the following supplies:



  • Dog Collar
  • Fabric Embellishing Glue (such as Jewel It)
  • Tweezers
  • Crystal Gems
  • Rounded Silver Gems
  • Paw Print Charm
  • Jump Ring
  • Round Nose Pliers
  • Toothpick
Orange dog collar and supplies to create your own decorated dog collar




The most important item you need for this project is a properly fitted dog collar.  If you need assistance with this, you can read how to choose a collar for your dog first.

You can find the rest of the needed supplies at your local craft store.  I found the crystal gems and rounded silver gems on clearance, which gave me the opportunity to splurge a little on the paw print charm!

Once you have the proper fitting collar adjusted correctly for your dog, you will want to lay out all of your supplies on a table.

Fabric embellishment glue, crystal gems, paw print charm for diy dog collar


Though I didn't include all of the tools I listed in the above photo, I wanted to note that I found the tweezers very helpful for picking up those tiny gems and placing them on the collar.  The toothpick is perfect for applying the glue to the back of the gems!

It's helpful to lay the dog collar as flat as you can on the table, before applying the gems.

Orange dog collar embellished with silver rounded gems


The dog collar I chose for this project had the perfect dots already in the fabric of the collar, making the design process simpler.  You could choose any design of your liking or go with a blank slate!

I decided to place a silver rounded gem on every third polka dot.  Even though these particular gems came with their own sticky adhesive backing, I still added a drop of glue to the back of the gems before placing on the collar.


Diy dog collar project

I then alternated between an orange and yellow crystal gem on each polka dot remaining on the collar.  You will note in the above photo, I did not adhere any gems to the five polka dots that are in the adjustment area of the collar.  Remember safety trumps beauty!

Once the adhesive has dried and you are sure the gems are secure, you can add the paw print charm to the collar.  Use a jump ring to attach your charm, that's where the pliers come into play!


Some safety measures to remember:


You will want to allow the adhesive to dry completely before allowing your furbaby to show off their new collar!

Depending on your dog, this collar may not be suitable for every day wear.  You may want to reserve this collar for special outings or photo shoots.

If your fur baby assists with this diy project, please do not leave them unattended with any of these supplies.  These items could pose as a choking hazard.  Please use common sense safety precautions ❤

Hope you enjoy making this project for your dog!  I would love to hear how your finished collar turns out, let me know by commenting here, by email, or visiting me on social media!  You can find me by selecting one of the pink icons at the top of this site.

Here is a photo of Stewy and his embellished dog collar!  So what do you think? Stewy loves getting comments too!

Cute dog modeling an orange collar adorned with crystal beads

Have a beautiful week, adorning your fur baby with love ❤

44 comments

  1. I love this! What a great project. And I agree, probably best for a special occasion or photo shoot. But so pretty! And the possibilities are endless! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and kind words! & yes the possibilities are endless ❤

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea! I love simple DIY projects that are super cute and easy for anyone to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda! Yes, this is a really simple project and a lot of fun ❤

      Delete
  3. Miss Edie isn't a collar wearing type of dog, but I'm thinking this would be a great idea to make one for her as a pretty accessory. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make a great accent piece to add to Ms. Edie's collection❤

      Delete
  4. Ooooooh, BLING-ICITY! Love this idea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! Appreciate your kind words and visit ❤

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the fun little DIY! It sounds like great for decorative collars, but I'm not sure those little baubles would stay glued on with the rough and tumble play of the Lapdogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Nichole! Yes, it would not be a good everyday collar for an active dog, but makes for a great photo shoot collar❤

      Delete
  6. Love how yours turned out! Simple and elegant. I wonder if I could convince Kilo to rock some rhinestones...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one way to find out... Let me know what Kilo thinks ❤

      Delete
  7. This is super cute and simple. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kia, it really is any easy and fun project❤

      Delete
  8. Great simple project with cute results! I love cute collars but Mr. N has so much fluff right now, you can't really see it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and stopping by for a visit! I get that, Mr W is too fluffy for this type of collar as well❤

      Delete
  9. I am craft-challenged, but can thoroughly appreciate a good DIY tutorial when I see one. ;) SO cute! I wish I was more patient, but then the crafters on Etsy would have one less customer. P.S. What in the world is a jump ring? ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed the tutorial Elizabeth! Thank you for your kind words and support of crafters❤

      To answer your question, a jump ring is a component used in jewelry to attach a charm or clasp to a necklace or bracelet. If you look at Stewy's photo above, you will see the round circular piece right above the paw print charm.

      Delete
  10. This is really cute and I love polka dots! What a great, simple DIY project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polka dots are fun! Thank you for your kind words and visit❤

      Delete
  11. It looks great and I love the charm you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was super excited when I came across this charm at my local craft store ❤

      Delete
  12. So easy and so adorable! My pups could use some new bling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane! I think all furbabies deserve some bling now and then. Let me know if you make them some, I love seeing everyone's creations❤

      Delete
  13. This is a great DIY project. Mom Paula says she'd try it for us, but we don't wear collars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and kind words❤ maybe Mom can find something else to bling for you!

      Delete
  14. Oh, so snazzy! I love this! Thanks! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed the diy and thank you for pinning❤

      Delete
  15. This collar is so cute! I love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cute craft project to do at home! Bookmarking so I cam make one of these~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin, have fun decorating! I would love to see a photo of your finished project❤

      Delete
  17. What a great idea and you make it look like a totally doable project for a non creative person like me. :-) Your instructions are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise, happy you found it easy to follow. It's a really fun project, let me know if you make one❤

      Delete
  18. This is adorable. My dogs would love to have a cute collar like this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. I would love to hear all about your finished project, if you decide to make them for your dogs ❤

      Delete
  19. What a great & unique DIY!
    This could be used for any animal collars or harnesses!
    Love it - great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra for your kind words. Yes, this project could be adapted for any fur baby and a harness would be pawsome all blinged out❤

      Delete
  20. I LOVE this kind of DIY project, I've "blinged out" a few of my dogs' collars & leashes as well. My next DIY will be little Phoebe's harness. I needed a red one to match a new collar/leash I bought her but can't find the right one so I'm going to make one. I'm gonna bling it out for sure, we love sparkle!
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, every fur baby needs a little sparkle in their life ❤ Would love to see Phoebe's new collar and leash when you get it finished!

      Delete